Wednesday 2 May 2012

Small Brown Bike - Nail Yourself to the Ground



I bought Dead Reckoning years ago on cd and thought it was awesome. Quite why it took me years to get round to buying any other Small Brown Bike records is beyond me. To make matters worse I ended up buying the rest of their back-catalogue (and new album) within a matter of months, meaning none of had really much of a chance to settle in properly. I can't really remember which record is which very well, or tell them apart. This one stands out because its only an EP, but that's about it. And I don't mean that in a bad way, they are all subtly different, I just need to make more of an effort.

I picked this one up at the No Idea Yard Sale at Fest. It seemed like a perfect opportunity to fill in the gaps in my collection. Of course I now have them all on vinyl, except Dead Reckoning which is definitely my favourite. I'll talk more about the morning spent queuing for that record buying experience at a later date, I'm sure. I spent a lot of money and got some great vinyl.

Its a good record, they all are. Not a particularly illuminating review, I know. Sorry. I doubt anyone reading this is expecting me to say anything too grand about it. That said, the opener is pretty massive tune. The pedal steel on So I Fall comes out of nowhere though, bit of an odd one. The final track closes it back in nicely. I do like an EP, short and sweet.

One of the reasons I'm doing this blog is to make an effort to listen to my records better myself. I think it'll work in cases like this, where I haven't properly got into a record yet. I know it better know, and a few more spins and I'll realise it's awesomeness!

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 5
Cost: £4.96 new
Bought: No Idea yard sale
When: 30/10/11
Colour: Purple?
Etching: Side A: "You and me don't like wars" Side B: "Forget our reckoning, dead own no place"
mp3s: cd