Sunday 6 May 2012

Lemuria - Pebble



Another one I got at the No Idea Yard Sale. I saw Lemuria the day before at Fest, but it was early on a long day and I didn't fancy carrying LPs around with me all day (again). The record came out ages before and I saw them twice in the summer in Kingston, but didn't buy it then either. I'm not sure why I put it off so long. I like their other two records a lot and figured I'd be into this one too. Better late than never I suppose.

It sounds different to the previous records. I guess the normal way to describe it would be "more mature". It still sounds like them, just somehow more relaxed. It works. I like Gravity as an opener; I'm a big fan of an intro song that's not quite a full song itself. I've always enjoyed the dual vocals, in fact I've kinda wished they'd do it more. Bloomer is an odd one lyrically. Actually, a lot of the songs have quite cutting lyrics in different ways. Durian just reminds me of the time I ate durian; it doesn't taste good. There are pretty much no gaps between the songs on here, just straight from one to the next. I read that Hüsker Dü used to do that in live shows so no one had a chance to comment to their friends what they thought of the show. I like it on albums too (side note: makes it a bitch to make mp3s with the usb turntable. The LP came with a download code but it didn't work, so I'm still mp3less on this one). I should listen to this record more often, it got a little bit caught up in the whirlwind of record buying at Fest, and a bit neglected upon my return. I don't know if the tunes are as obvious and noticeable on here (except Chautauqua County - oh oh oh's always get me), but I do like the record as a whole.

Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 10
Cost: £5.58 new
Bought: No Idea yard sale
When: 30/10/11
Colour: black
Etching: no
mp3s: download code