Tuesday 22 May 2012

The Decemberists - The King is Dead


I quite like this record. It got a lot of attention when it came out because it wasn't a concept album, like their last few had been. That didn't bother me much at all. I enjoyed their last album, The Hazards of Love, too. It's not necessarily what you'd expect from The Decemberists, but I thought it worked ok. I saw them live for the first time when they toured The King is Dead and I think all the songs stood their own ground pretty well; the riffs of the last album and the chilled folk of the new one.

I guess this album is quite refreshing when compared The Hazards of Love. I like that it's just 10 songs, simple, no concept. And the songs are really good too. Down By the Water and This is Why We Fight are my highlights, but the others all have their moments too. It feels a lot more like their first couple of albums.

I got the album a few days after it came out in Banquet. I remember the guy behind the counter that day (possibly Ollie) being very excited for the new album and chatting to him about it for a bit.

Nothing very exciting to say about this record, sorry. It's nice. Check it out.


Format: 12", gatefold sleeve, picture sleeve
Tracks: 10
Cost: £12 new
Bought: Banquet
When: 17/01/11
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no