Wednesday 16 May 2012

The Bouncing Souls - How I Spent My Summer Vacation


A truly classic album. Last year The Bouncing Souls played four nights in London, each night playing two of their albums in full (a concept I adore). I only had Hopeless Romantics and Summer Vacation at the time, so I went to those two nights. I think part of the reason why the Summer Vacation night was so good was because every single song was massive and such fun to jump around to and sing along. I like the excitement of knowing that they're going to play certain songs. It's almost like being prepared for the excitement somehow makes it more enjoyable, even though I know it should be the other way round (the joy of a good surprise).

True Believers and Gone are two of my favourite Bouncing Souls songs, but the other 11 are all excellent. That Song starts the album perfectly ("I put the needle on the record, and I play that song again"). Manthem and Break Up Song are exactly the songs you expect them to be, but make a great duo. Gone is fantastic way to close the album, and a cracking song on it's own.

I bought this one on the same trip to Amoeba as the Low + The Dirty Three record, and a whole bunch of others. I think this album has always been in print and I'm sure Banquet have had it in stock at various points, but I was spending money and I'm glad it got caught up in that storm. It's basically a perfect punk rock record; songs about music, girls and hanging out with friends; upbeat but heavy. Like I said, a classic.


Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 13
Cost: £11.68
Bought: Amoeba San Francisco
When: 07/09/10
Colour: black
Etching: none
mp3s: no