Wednesday 24 October 2012

Hell is For Heroes - Kamichi



Unlike the last single, I remember distinctly buying this record. I'd just finished for Christmas in my second year of University and had gone home via Bristol to visit my friend Nick. He still had a day of term left, so during the afternoon I went into town to see what I could find in Bristol's many (at the time) record shops. I'd applied to Bristol myself the year before and spent most of the open day browsing records. I always get lost in Bristol (even now with a smartphone) but had found Replay Records and bought a Minor Threat record and Screaming Life by Soundgarden. I also found my way into a Virgin Megastore and saw a couple of copies of this on the shelf. I was entirely unaware that Hell is For Heroes had a new album coming, so very excitedly bought a copy (even more-so as it was hand-numbered) . Of course, my record player was in Lancaster so I had to wait until January to play it.

The a-side would become the opener for their second album, Transmit Disrupt, and was a pretty good tune, although not as instantly memorable as the singles that had come before it. Road to Xanadu on the b-side was much more scatty than other other song I've ever heard by them, but still a good listen.


Format: 7", numbered (681/750)
Tracks: 2
Cost: £2 new
Bought: Virgin Bristol
When: 10/12/04
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no