Wednesday 24 October 2012

Hell is For Heroes - Night Vision


I bought this 7" ten years and a day ago. Makes me feel very old. The HMV in Winchester had not long opened and would get in a small selection of new 7"s each week, which I'd go and browse through. I'm reasonably sure I'd seen the video to Night Vision on one of the music channels before the single came out (as was the way things worked back then); I definitely remember seeing the video in the early hours of a Sunday morning at a friends house, and that was the day after my birthday (it was her 18th but since she had the party on my birthday we kind of crashed it) so I must have seen it before I bought it. That's the train of thought anyway.

Night Vision is still a cracking song, but I still love the whole album. There's something about the singer's vocals that you don't hear too much these days. I imagine if this record came out now, someone would try to clean the vocals up a bit and over-produce it. The b-side Can't You Hear It is pretty good too, with chuggy guitar verses and a soaring chorus. Nice clear vinyl too.


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £1.50 new
Bought: HMV Winchester
When: 23/10/02
Colour: Clear
Etching: none
mp3s: no