Monday 15 October 2012

The Paper Chase + Xiu Xiu - Cover Nick Cave


With the exception of the very last album The Paper Chase put out, this was the last thing missing from my collection. My parents had bought me the LP of God Bless Your Black Heart one Christmas but my mum began to panic it might not arrive in time. She emailed the band to check on it's progress from their website, and they very kindly sent me a copy of the new split with Xiu Xiu to make up for it potentially being late. Luckily the LP arrived in good time and this one turned up just after Christmas. (However, just after Christmas I returned to Australia for my second semester out there, so didn't actually get to play the record until I returned in the summer.)

I often meant to make more of an effort to get into Nick Cave's music, but somehow it's still not happened, so I still don't know either of the original versions of these songs. On top on that, Xiu Xiu were a band I could never convince myself entirely about. I've heard a few songs that I've quite enjoyed (Clowne Towne is one), but also some others that I could barely listen to. Both of the covers here are nice enough, and the bands certainly put their own spin on each, but it's not made me run out and buy Nick Cave or Xiu Xiu records.


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: Gift, new
Bought: Gift
When: 26/06/06
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no