Friday 5 October 2012

Street Eaters - Rusty Eyes and Hydrocarbons


Yet another band I got into by going to Fest last year, although I didn't actually end up seeing them that weekend. They clashed with Great Cynics, and whilst I see Great Cynics about once a month, they played one of the best sets I've ever seen them play, so I was pleased I caught them. Street Eaters were one of the bands I discovered in the weeks leading up to Fest on one of the Bandcamp samplers. The song Nation Builder caught my ear and a stream of their album made me a fan. I had every intention of seeing them but clashes are always painful and I felt I had to see Great Cynics abroad. Also the queues for 1982 were often killer.

Despite not seeing them, I picked up Rusty Eyes and Hydrocarbons at the No Idea yard sale on the Sunday morning. Records are so cheap in the states and by bringing it back myself I didn't have to pay postage! It's an awesome album, but I knew that from Bandcamp. Given that there's just the two of them, they have the fullest sound, and its really unrelenting in its attack. The dual vocals adds so much (just have a listen to Frigid Digits) and their voices complement each other greatly. The bass is perfectly chuggy and the drums are hit hard. Almost makes you wonder why other bands bother with guitarists (a thought I also had after seeing Lightning Bolt). Nation Builder is still a mind-blowing song, and Livid Lizard and Through the Cracks are both highlights.

So I've spent the last year lamenting the fact I didn't see them live, but all that will change in two weeks as they're touring Europe and playing the Black Heart in Camden. Needless to say, I'm definitely going. (I was supposed to join some friends in seeing The Dirty Projectors that night, but I'm not missing Street Eaters again. I like The Dirty Projectors but I can imagine seeing them in the soulless Roundhouse might not be that enjoyable anyway.) Anyway, I have high hopes. It'll be nice to be able to play this record without the guilty feeling of knowing I missed them on one of the (probably) few chances I have to see them.


Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 10
Cost: £6.20 new
Bought: No Idea yard sale
When: 30/10/11
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: download