Monday 29 October 2012

ONSIND - Dissatisfactions


This record was one of the musical highlights of 2011 for me. I hadn't heard ONSIND until a few days before K-Fest that year, and had barely even heard of them before that. I was mostly going because Above Them were playing, but also because there were some other decent bands on the bill and it looked like a good little weekender (although I only went on the Saturday). Anyway, a few days beforehand I decided it would be a good idea to actually listen to some of the new names and somehow the first band I picked was ONSIND. I found their bandcamp page, pressed play on their latest album Dissatisfactions and was instantly hooked.

The ten songs I heard were unbelievably catchy and I couldn't get enough of them. And on top of all this great acoustic punk-rock was some of the most thought-provoking lyrics I've heard in ages. Heterosexuality is a Construct is a scathing but upbeat attack on homophobia and You Should Probably Keep it All In is a song I'm sure almost everyone can relate to. I'd not long broken up with my ex-girlfriend when I heard Dissatisfactions and the line "You said you never wanted me to change, and to my detriment I'm still the fucking same" on Old Hazel Eyes is Back caught my ears every time. On top of all that, there are choruses that other bands can only dream of writing, like on Heterosexuality..., "Either He's Dead or My Watch Has Stopped", and "I Could Carve a Better Man Out of a Banana". I played the album a couple of times over that day and listened to everything else I could find. I was pleased that the first K-Fest band I did any research on turned out so well.

I arrived later at the Fighting Cocks on the Saturday than I'd planned, but perfectly in time to see ONSIND. They set up their two mic stands in the middle of the floor, the crowd gathered around them and they opened up with this album's closer "I Could Carve a Better Man Out of a Banana". The first time I heard that song I was fully drawn into the story that it tells and quite amazed. The rendition that afternoon in the Cocks then made it incredible with everyone in the room joining in singing the chorus at the top of their lungs. It was the highlight of the day and kept me smiling for ages (I was very pleased that I'd heard the album so I could join in). The sing-a-longs didn't stop there and the rest of the set was great. Afterwards my friend Sarah and I both bought copies of the cd and I eventually picked up a copy on vinyl in All Ages in Camden (although strangely there is a gap in the middle of Old Hazel Eyes is Back which I assume is some sort of pressing error that made its way past the test press).

I've had some bad luck seeing ONSIND since then - they've played London a few times but I've been away for all but one of them (most annoying was a house show just a short walk from my old flat in Surbiton which clashed with my grandad's 80th). I can forgive them because it's a long way from Durham, but I do hope they play again soon.


Format: 12", a4 insert
Tracks: 10
Cost: £10 new
Bought: All Ages, Camden
When: 17/10/12
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: download card