Thursday 25 October 2012

Hundred Reasons - How Soon is Now?


Given my feelings towards the original versions of both of these songs, it's a wonder I bought this record at all. I'd heard the How Soon is Now? compilation album and quite enjoyed it - it was a collection of bands of a certain style covering Smiths songs, and had some surprisingly good takes. I say surprising, because I fucking hate The Smiths. There's a Marmite-ness to The Smiths, and I'm fully on the hate-side. The songs themselves weren't all bad, and some of the lyrics are alright if you can get past Morrissey, but they were just so wet. Really unexciting 80's floppy indie-pop. Some people like that, and that's fine, but it's not for me. But the album worked well; the songs finally had some balls to them, and it was good (and not all Smiths covers work. I swear half the bands I have music by have tried a Smiths cover, and most of them are garbage. I think they have a very different reputation here in the UK than they do abroad).

Anyway, I never got round to buying the album, but did find this cheaply on eBay one day and picked it up. Nice blue vinyl and they all came signed by the band (well, three of the band. Whilst I can't read the signatures, two of them are the same as the ones in my EP Two sleeve). How Soon is Now? is a fairly good cover, as Smiths covers go, but wasn't one of my favourites on the album (it's been so long now that I can't even remember which ones I did like).

The b-side is Eternal Flame by The Bangles, a song which haunted my childhood. My friend when I was very young absolutely adored that song and I really feel like I had my fair share of hearing it (along with my friend singing along) between the ages 4 and 10. To have a copy in my record collection now just seems a bit cruel. Still, I bought the record knowing it was on the b-side, so I guess I hoped I would get past it. Sadly I can't, and I just picture my pudgy childhood friend singing it, rather than Colin.

Needless to say, I don't play this record all that often.


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £2.50 second hand
Bought: eBay
When: 11/11/06
Colour: Light blue
Etching: none
mp3s: no