Thursday 25 October 2012

Hundred Reasons - The Great Test


This was the first single from Hundred Reasons's second album, and I picked it up in my local HMV along with a Far cd. I'd been at university a few months and had originally not taken any records or my record player with me (although I have no idea why). I began to miss it all immediately, and I bought a handful of records in the first term. My friend was supposed to bring the player when he came to visit but forgot, so I was vinyl-less until Christmas, meaning that this certainly didn't get played for about two months after I bought it. Nonetheless, I was excited that HR had a new album in the works.

The songs are plenty nice enough, but fall a bit short of the kick of those first singles. The Great Test was a bit of a grower, and I didn't realise how much I liked it until seeing them play it live. The third song, Change of Season, is pretty good too. The two sides play at different speeds, which is a minor inconvenience on this turntable and a huge chore on my dream record player, a Rega Planar 3 (I used to own one but had to sell it when I moved to Cardiff. I've been meaning to buy one ever since, but I keep blowing my money on records and holidays). Still, better to have three songs and change the speed than just two I suppose.


Format: 7", numbered (#2104)
Tracks: 3
Cost: £1.35 new
Bought: HMV Lancaster
When: 03/11/03
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no