Thursday 4 September 2014

Cutman - Big Deal EP


As I mentioned in my post about Cutman's No Trick Pony 7", I'd been given the 7" of the Big Deal EP instead of No Trick Pony when I bought it. All Ages refunded me, but I did of course play the wrong 7" before taking it back. I was very keen to hear some more Cutman and there were two songs on vinyl in front of me, just they weren't the songs I was supposed to be hearing.

What I heard was excellent - both songs were brilliant. They sounded somehow more clean and punky than the LP, but still sounded exactly like what I'd come to love from Cutman. And huge; two monsters of songs. The Itch might be my favourite Cutman song (it's almost impossible not to slow-head-bang when the first chorus breaks) and Bulldozer Blues is probably in the top 5. If you want to get an idea of what Cutman sound like, this 7" would be an excellent place to start.

The problem I had was that I'd returned the record to All Ages only to discover that the Different Kitchen distro only had No Trick Pony available. I'd fallen in love with these two songs and I had nowhere I could find them in the UK. The worse thing about it was that I preferred Big Deal to No Trick Pony (although the latter is still very good). When we finally made it back to Fest in 2013, I was very excited to find a copy of the Big Deal EP at one of the stalls at registration (in fact we found two, so Sarah bought one as well). I was pretty pleased to finally have the 7" again and even more pleased to find that the songs were even better than I remembered.

Format: 7", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 2
Cost: £3.15 new
Bought: Pre-Fest registration, Tampa
When: 29/10/13
Colour: Marbled grey
Etching: none
mp3s: no