Thursday 4 September 2014

Cutman - No Trick Pony


The story of Cutman's No Trick Pony 7" is thoroughly entwined with the story of their Big Deal 7" for reasons that will become clear. Cutman were one of the bands we accidentally discovered at Fest and thought were awesome. Both Sarah and I both bought their album Universal Laws and thought it was excellent. Nearly a year later I stumbled across a copy of No Trick Pony in All Ages in London and was very excited to hear some more Cutman. I bought a bunch of records that day but Cutman was the one I was most looking forward to hearing when I got home.

However when I got home I was a bit confused because the record in the sleeve only had two songs on it, neither of which were supposed to be. It became clear that I had the 7" from the Big Deal EP and not No Trick Pony. I dropped All Ages an email saying that they'd given me the wrong 7", but they'd never had the Big Deal 7" in stock, so wherever the mistake happened, it happened before it arrived at All Ages. They kindly offered to refund me and pointed me towards the Different Kitchen distro as somewhere I might be able to get a copy with the right record inside.

A few weeks later I ordered a bunch of stuff from them (which wouldn't have happened if it weren't for that mishap, so silver linings). They had No Trick Pony (but not Big Deal) so I got one for myself and one for Sarah as it was her birthday soon afterwards. I picked up one of the first press on "grape" coloured vinyl (/125). They had some more limited runs of the second press for a pound or two more, so I got Sarah one on yellow vinyl (/27). I think the highlight might be the third song, the sludgy Tied to the Wheel but the whole 7" is great. I was after more Cutman songs and that was exactly what I got, which is a pretty awesome thing.

Format: 7", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 3
Cost: £3.10 new
Bought: Different Kitchen distro
When: 14/11/12
Colour: Grape
Etching: none
mp3s: no