Wednesday 3 September 2014

Peeping Tom - Mojo


I was pretty excited when the Peeping Tom album came out. Actually, that's an understatement; I was on a huge Mike Patton kick at the time having recently discovered the excellent Loveage album and was loving hearing his voice against something less abrasive than Fantomas. An article I read had a quote from Mike along the lines of "the Peeping Tom album is what I want songs on the radio to sound like" (it always amaused me that his dream radio station had him singing on every song). The list of collaborators was ridiculous - from Rahzel and Dan the Automator on this song, Massive Attack and, most strangely, Norah Jones (although her song is excellent).

Unsurprisingly for an album designed to play like a radio station, there are a lot of hits, but Mojo certainly works as the single. The b-side Preschool is good too, but would have been the weakest track on the album had it made the cut. Nice yellow vinyl. I remember the day I bought this record I ended up going straight to a party at my friend Guy's house. He had some turntables set up in his living room and we played the record a couple of times at the start. It went down well if I remember correctly. Good times.

Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £3 new
Bought: HMV Winchester
When: 14/08/06
Colour: Transparent yellow
Etching: none
mp3s: no