Sunday 17 June 2012

The Arteries + The Cut Ups - Split


I only got round to buying this one a few weeks ago when The Arteries played El Paso before heading off on another US tour. I'd meant to buy it for a while; I think the fact it was always a fiver put me off a bit, but then it is five songs so you're not exactly getting screwed. I wish I had bought it sooner to be honest.

The Arteries songs both made it onto their second album (another reason I should have bought it sooner), but Mutual Friends is one of my favourites from Dead Sea so I don't mind. They're from a different recording session to the album, but sound pretty similar.

The Cut Ups side is where this record really shines though in my opinion. I'm a big fan of The Cut Ups and this is the only bit of their music I have on vinyl. I became friends with Rez when I was living in Cardiff and the Cut Ups played a bunch of times whilst I was there. Both their albums are incredible and, needless to say, I'm pretty excited for the third. All three of their songs here are great. They often get compared to Billy Bragg, and that comes across on Torches and Sainte Tomass (my favourite of the lot, a really brilliant song). Billy Ocean Blue is a lot more punk-rock and works well too.

The Cut Ups are finally playing London again soon (it has been ages since I last saw them now), so whilst I should've bought this record a while back, it has now whet my appetite for their return even more.


Format: 7", insert
Tracks: 5
Cost: £5 new
Bought: Gig
When: 15/05/12
Colour: Green
Etching: no
mp3s: download