Tuesday 12 June 2012

Cursive - Burst and Bloom


Despite already owning this on cd (a bargain in Fopp years ago), I bought the 12" on Saturday too. I'm increasingly unimpressed by cds and now that my record player is on my desk I no longer have to get up to turn records over. If I had the cash I would have all my music on vinyl.

Similarly to the Kevin Devine EP below this is an EP where the first song is up there amongst the best songs the artist has ever written. Sink to the Beat is definitely one of my favourite Cursive songs, but all five here are really strong. Burst and Bloom originally came out between, what are in my opinion, Cursive's best two albums, which might explain why it's so good. It's got the balls and riffs of Domestica but also the artiness and cynicism of The Ugly Organ (Sink to the Beat seems like a lyrical precursor to Art is Hard). Mothership... is an incredible song too.

I was slightly put off by the fact it was £12, but I'm sure it would've been even more in shops on Record Store Day itself. I think it might have even been a US only RSD release. Still, it's a great EP and pretty nice to have on vinyl. The colour is lovely, even if my colour-blind eyes can't quite make it out perfectly. The other thing that nearly put me off buying it was the prospect of keeping it safe for the rest of the night whilst I was out with my sister and her boyfriend. Luckily it survived and made it home without any damage, even with the odds of drunken Birmingham being stacked so high against it. Also, Cursive had been great that night and I wanted something to remind me of the gig.

Unlike the Kevin Devine EP, I would put this one pretty high up my list of Cursive recommendations - it's a really great record.


Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 5
Cost: £12 new
Bought: Gig
When: 09/06/12
Colour: Yellow marble
Etching: none
mp3s: download