Sunday 17 June 2012

Feist + Mastodon - Feistodon


Feistodon was possibly the highlight of this year's Record Store Day releases and, given that it was the only record I bought that sold out straight away, the reason I got up at some ungodly hour to stand outside Banquet. A lot of people were talking about it so I'm not surprised they all got snapped up. It is as great as you'd hope. Feist and Mastodon are too vastly different artists, yet somehow the choice to cover each other's song isn't that surprising.

Feist's latest album Metals was much better than I expected and the Mastodon cover here works very well. A Commotion wasn't my favourite song on the album, but lends itself to a heavy cover nicely; the shouting of the chorus and the riff at the end. Feist's cover is good too, although I don't know the original (even though I really should). The fuzzy guitar keeps making me think my needle is broken.

And I know it's a stupid point to make, but I really like the American 7"s with the inch hole in the middle. Clearly no one is ever going to put this record into a jukebox, but it's a nice novelty and gives the spacer my record player came with an excuse to be used.


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £3.65 new
Bought: Banquet
When: 21/04/12
Colour: Black
Etching: no
mp3s: no