Monday 18 June 2012

Walter Schreifels - Distance


I ended up with an mp3 of the song Open Letter to the Scene by Walter a few years back with a download card that came with an Attack in Black record and got very excited for his solo album. I'd been a fan of Rival Schools since United by Fate came out, and then became a Quicksand fan and a Gorilla Biscuits fan (more on this another time). I found this on my first ever trip to Banquet and added it to the many records I was already buying.

The two songs here are both lovely. The b-side reappeared on the solo album, but as a slightly different recording. Distance is a great song and a shame it didn't make it onto the album. It's a bit more full-on than a lot of his other solo songs, but it's no secret that Walter likes to turn it up from time to time. This is a very nice 7".

On a related note, I've just seen that Quicksand have announced another US show after they reformed for the Revelation Records anniversary show. Needless to say, I'm very excited. There have been some exciting reunions lately but the possibility of seeing Landmine Spring live outweighs New Noise and Napoleon Solo put together. I can't make it to America again for another few years, so please, please play London!


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £4 new
Bought: Banquet
When: 18/01/10
Colour: Black
Etching: no
mp3s: no