Sunday 17 June 2012

EastStrikeWest - Stumble/Shuffle


A few years ago I went to the Underworld in Camden to see This Will Destroy You. In the afternoon before that I checked out the support bands, one of whom was EastStrikeSest. The singer was in a band called Three Movements, who had a song on a Rock Sound cd years before. I enjoyed the song and bought their ep, which remains on my cds racks now as one I listen to quite often. I therefore quite looked forward to EastStrikeWest.

I liked their show that night, but wasn't blown away by it. I bought the 7" afterwards anyway (had it been much more than £2 and I may not have). The songs are nice enough, but it's a little bit too far on the side of pompous grand rock. It comes across too strongly in the production and his voice. The flyer in the picture was one I was given that night for their album release show "with full string section". I didn't go, but I can imagine it was possibly a little further in the grandiose direction, although I'm sure would've been very interesting to see. I don't go much for the fake-Russian lettering or imagery they've gone for here. All in all, I'm a little on the fence here. I'd watch them again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so.


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £2 new
Bought: Gig
When: 30/09/10
Colour: Yellow
Etching: no
mp3s: no