Thursday 14 June 2012

Milloy - More Than a Machine


When Milloy recently announced they were splitting up nearly every UK punk band tweeted about how upset they were, furthering my belief that Milloy were one of the most respected bands in the country. I was pretty late in finding out about them, and only saw them once. It was in Le Pub in Newport and everyone I knew was very excited about it (clue no.1 that they were well-loved). The show was really good, and I later picked up More Than a Machine in Damaged (coincidently, on the same trip as the afore mentioned Miracle of 86 cd). If you went into Damaged you pretty much had to buy something because Welly was such a friendly guy, and it felt awkward going in, browsing, chatting to him and then leaving. The internet tells me that this is one of 210 copies on red splatter vinyl.

The album basically justifies why everyone thought so highly of them - catchy songs, great riffs, everything you want from a punk-rock record. I'm worried tend to gush praise when I write about records on here, but this really is a very good album. Evil Knievel sets the scene for what's about to come nicely and 11 more awesome songs follow. My highlights are Blackjack (has a great little breakdown in the middle) and Mirror Signal Manoeuvre. The last two songs are  around the wrong way from the track-listing, which I assume isn't intentional.

Anyway, I guess all good things come to an end, and that goes for Milloy too. I'm pretty gutted that I'm missing their last London show soon, but it just increases the temptation to head up to Leeds for Out Of Spite for their last ever show. It's safe to say that everyone will be going mad for it.


Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 12
Cost: £8.50
Bought: Damaged, Cardiff
When: 28/03/09
Colour: Red splatter
Etching: none
mp3s: no